In answer to Jeff’s 20 Questions:
1. What is the deal with my cleric’s religion?
There are no Clerics, instead there are Technicians who can perform many of the same tasks using high-tech equipment.
However, there are Alien Gods that can grant various powers or boons to any characters, regardless of class, who become servants and worshippers.
2. Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
Any decently large settlement will have some kind of artisans and craftmen who produce and sell stuff. If your looking for weapons or something more special you may need to visit a city and if you want super-science artifacts or very exotic goods you better visit the arcology of Yankara.
3. Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
Most village smiths are not very good at making or repairing weapons and armor. In a city or at a fort there will be armorers specializing in such tasks.
4. Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
That would be Ek-Nha-Zeen, the robot science-sorcerer of Yankara, who is a powerful psionic adept but also has gained deep insights in the mysteries of science and is master of the Witch Stone Zazarax.
5. Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
6. Who is the richest person in the land?
The Immortal Autarch of Yankara controls great riches and has a private palace filled with treasures beyond belief.
7. Where can we go to get some magical healing?
The Regeneration Vats of Yankara provides super-science medical treatment, free to citizens, outsiders must pay a rather steep fee. Also, priests of Slaathi can produce healing elixirs.
8. Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
See no 7, but some Technicians or Psionic Adepts may be able to help.
9. Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
There are several cabals, secret societies and academies that strive to master the psionic powers. And likewise there are many such groups working to preserve and rediscover the ancient super-science. Most such organisations are very secretive, jealously guarding their knowledge and usually only accept members who can cotribute to the group in some way.
10. Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
In larger cities, though some live in secluded monasteries or hidden academies.
11. Where can I hire mercenaries?
In cities, though many of the nomad tribes of the western plains will fight for money if they find you worthy.
12. Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
The city state of Yankara has stricter regulations than most more primitive settlements.
13. Which way to the nearest tavern?
Most villages have a pub where villagers and travelers can enjoy drink and food. Cities will have many taverns, pubs, bars, brothels, etc, catering to different tastes.
14. What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
There are many dangers outside the walls of the city states: Bands of savage mutants and Khong, huge white apes with four arms, pillage and plunder. Mnars and Cthules and Spitting Lizzards prey on people and cattle. But few monsters are so huge and fearsome as the Spectral Walkers.
15. Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
Well, there is a permanent though low frequent war between the western nomads and the eastern city states. Further east the sea kingdom of Vho is claiming all trade and all fishing in the eastern archipelago and waging war against anyone daring to oppose their monopoly.
16. How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
That is a common sight in most cities.
17. Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
Lots, many pursue research and training in psionic disciplines or the secrets of super-science, others worship strange gods. But there is also common organized crime and political conspiracies.
18. What is there to eat around here?
In Yankara the staple food is in vitro meat, fungi and algea. Most other settlements grow crops and raise cattle or fish and hunt. Insects are a common source of protein.
19. Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
There are plenty of ruins from fallen human empires and some rare remnants from the Primordials among which one can find super-science artifacts. Some of the most valuable are the mysterious and dangerous Witch Stones.
20. Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
Probably in the mountains to the north-east or in the southern jungles. There are rumours of a Black Ziggurat beyond the western plains.